Friday, June 27, 2008

New job!

I took a new position for next year! Everything happened so quickly that I still haven't had time to process all of it. Our special education transfers finally came out about a week ago (due to budget reasons, things just moved so slow this year... usually this process is completed in the spring) and there were openings in Inclusion, another part of our special education department. I've been talking about a change on and off this school year, as I've been working in my present type of position for 8 years now. I've been at three different schools, but doing the same kind of thing. So... I did an interview (thinking it didn't go that well) and ended up getting one of the positions that were free, as did Michele, a good friend of mine. With some anxiety and a lot of excitement, I decided to take the job.

This is certainly proving to be a year of change, as Jon and I had discussed when the opportunity to transfer came about. Our improved overall health/fitness, new day care, Payton starting preschool-- everything is changing, so why not add another egg to the basket?

I'll be an itinerant special education teacher, working at different sites (elementary, middle and high school) to supervise and evaluate instructional assistants working with students with moderate/ severe disabilities (Autism, Down Syndrome, etc.), working with site teams to modify curriculum and support students, and be a resource to teachers and parents. I've been told how hard the first year is- there will be lots of difficult parents and teachers, but hopefully I will be able to not take it to personally. I'm excited about the flexibility, the change of pace and adding to my professional growth... but scared as well!

Wish me luck! It's hard to believe we'll be starting on July 15!

3 comments:

DeeDee said...

the job sounds awesome. i hear ya about needing a change of pace. i can see myself doing something like that one of these days.... a nice change and closer to the admin side of things. good for you!!!!

Monica said...

Congrats on the new job! Personally I like change and I find this exciting for you. Don't be nervous!!!

Mr. P said...

That is super fun Jena. I think it will definitely be a change of pace for you, especially giving you an idea of what middle and high school is like. I'll have to pick your brain as the year goes on to see what you think of it. Good luck dude!